Sunday, October 18, 2020

Day 218


 Day 218, self quarantine:


I kept my promise to myself and spent most of yesterday listening to music.

We have an extensive collection of vinyl, CDs, cassettes and yep, eight tracks which span over fifty years.  Gary even has his original Beatle 45s in their original sleeves, in pristine condition.

We have records I didn’t know we have.

Yesterday we listened to a record Al Kooper made in one weekend with 15 year old Shuggie Otis in 1969 and I kinda freaked out because I swear I never heard it before.

Honestly, how did I miss this record?

His Wikipedia is the best.  Read this slowly.  It’s awesome.

“Otis began playing guitar when he was two years old and performing professionally with his father's band at the age of eleven, often disguising himself with dark glasses and a false mustache so that he could play with his father's band in after-hours clubs.”

Omg, why am I seeing Bart Simpson?

So I’m looking at the album cover and the drummer is a young handsome guy I never heard of.

“Wells Kelly,” I told Gary.  “You ever hear of him?”

“No,” said Gary.

“He must be dead,” I replied.

I googled him.

“Wells Kelly was best-known to rock music fans as the drummer in the pop-rock group Orleans, whose hits included "Dance With Me" and "Still the One." He was with the band from 1973 until 1976, later moving to keyboards. He re-joined the band in 1978 and 1979 before leaving again. He also played with Clarence Clemons before joining Meat Loaf's band.

Wells died in London on Oct. 28, 1984 while on tour with Meat Loaf after a night of partying with friends. He collapsed and died on the front step of a London apartment, apparently from asphyxiation. He was reportedly last seen drinking with Huey Lewis.”

Welp, that explains why else we never heard of him.  

We weren’t exactly fond of his bandmates, either. Yikes.  

Though we did like Clarence.

We also got the new Tom Petty posthumous release and it is EVERYTHING.  We listened to all six sides of vinyl all the way through and there isn’t a bad cut on it.

I can’t recommend it enough.

So the 24/7 music plan is working out though I got alarming news alerts throughout the day about the virus.

“Pennsylvania reported the 2nd-most coronavirus cases per day since April, days after officials warned of a fall resurgence of the virus.”

Not good.

And the buffoon continues to dance.

Omg, 217,000 Americans are dead and that morbidly obese fool wearing clown makeup and a ridiculous yak wig is dancing.

And then last night, he announced to his loathsome, mostly unmasked crowd, "I said, first lady, am I the most handsome president ever? 'Yes, absolutely.' I said, who can top me? She said, 'well, JFK was good looking, but nothing like you. Nothing like you, darling.'"

Uh, sure Donald.  On what planet would that be?

It’s like bizarro Snow White.  Donald somehow got his tiny hideous hands on the evil queen’s magic mirror. 

And again, he’s addressing Americans who have lost loved ones and their livelihoods in a pandemic.  

But what do I know, they’re there in his cootie filled stadium voluntarily.  I guess they just don’t care.

Today looks to be another beautiful fall day.  In episode 218 of I have the best quarantine partner, Gary is making from scratch minestrone for dinner with baked apples wrapped in pastry smothered in vanilla sauce for dessert.

I know, it sounds terrible.

16 more days, people.

Chins up, we’re gonna get through this.

Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment