Saturday, August 01, 2020

Day 140


Day 140, self quarantine:

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Wow, it’s August.

I’ve now been in quarantine since March.

March, April, May, June, July, August

My god.

I don’t even discuss or worry about going back to my real office with my boss or husband anymore.

It’s never happening.  I know that now and I’m at peace with it.

Okay, well, let’s just pretend 2020 didn’t happen and we’ll reset in January, 2021.

If only all Americans could quarantine until then, we could stop the bleeding caused by the gross mismanagement of the virus earlier this year.  See:  Donald Trump.

I now call him PotusVirus on Twitter.

What a terrible, terrible man.  

One hundred fifty thousand dead Americans.

What a terrible, terrible waste of human lives.

Six months into this thing and my mind is completely boggled he’s still in the White House and not in prison.

Just incredible.

Anyhoo, enough of that.  

Guess what?

I get to see Julie today!

And so does everyone:


The live, 90 minute show begins at 6:00 p.m. eastern.

Julie will be playing her own music, plus something very special.

Think Chris Squire.

I’m unreasonably excited.

I also got an email that Eric and Dr. Dog are doing a live stream tomorrow but that can’t be right.

Because Eric told me that, assuming the Covid-19 test he took yesterday is negative, he will be in Philadelphia on Thursday and Friday on some personal business.

I know.  “If his test is negative” almost sent  me spiraling into another panic attack but not before I ran around the house excitedly yapping “Eric is coming!  Eric is coming!”

The poor dog thought I meant Eric was here now and he raced to the door, barking like a maniac.

Jake loves his kids.

Anyway, fingers crossed it happens.  Six months without seeing our son has been unbelievable  agony for Gary and me.  I don’t talk about it much here because what’s the point?  

It’s best to be positive and not waste energy lamenting things you cannot fix, right?  Right.

Hey, I always have the news on  in the background and here’s something good for a change...Pier 1 lives!

Haha yep, I loved Pier I since I was a young hippie teenager in the early seventies  looking for cool stuff for my first apartment with Gary.  They opened one of their very first stores in a strip mall in northeast Philadelphia.

Back then teenagers could afford stuff like that.

Truth:  We rented a two bedroom apartment with an in-ground swimming pool across the street from a gorgeous park for $150 a month.

All decorated with candles, posters and hookahs from Pier 1.

As Gary and I matured, so did Pier 1.  They  became a national big box store, and started selling expensive furniture and dinnerware but they kept their funky side and it’s been Gary’s go to place for gifts for me for fifty years.

I should have known how ominous 2020 would be when in December, 2019 Gary said to me, shocked, “I went to Pier 1 to get you some Christmas presents and I think they’re out of business!”

“Right before Christmas?  That’s impossible,” I said, grabbing my phone.

Omg.

Our Pier 1 in Philadelphia was closed and stores all across the country were closing.

Look, I’m old.  I don’t need any more trinkets for the house, I’m attempting to do the opposite.

But it still pained me the store was gone.

Anyway, now it’s back, someone bought them, and they’re going to have expanded online shopping.

So that makes me happy even though I will most likely never buy anything 😂

I wonder, if when all the smoke clears from this pandemic and we resume our lives, if we will see the return of mom and pop stores.

To me, that would be the best silver lining to this nightmare.

Gary and I vowed to avoid corporate big box stores whenever possible but during quarantine, it’s been rough and we haven’t been able to do it.

Oh well, we’ll keep trying.

Anyway, before I start cleaning my house and put on Season 3 of Top Chef, I want to apologize for my vegan remark yesterday.  

I aspire to be a vegan but I can’t or I guess won’t give up eggs or cheese.  Vegans have my highest respect.  My remarks yesterday were meant more as a dig to Gary who brought me home a cake with butter and sour cream and tried to pass it off as vegan when he knows better and clearly knows the difference.  In fact, because I take medication for genetic high cholesterol, Gary always buys me vegan cake because if I eat too much butter, I get sick.

Soooo....sorry if it appeared I was mocking vegans.  I knew about applesauce and mashed bananas because that’s what we use when we bake at Casa Slick 🤗

Anyway, now I’m hungry for banana bread.

Happy Saturday, everyone!