Monday, August 31, 2020

Day 170

Day 170, self quarantine:

Monday, August 31, 2020

Welp, there goes August.

So no Dog Beach today, the weather isn’t that great, we have other stuff on our plate, and I would rather save the beach for later in the week so we have something to look forward to.

Here’s the obligatory pic of Jake and me right now, having just shopped at Home Depot this morning.



I think I have 25 of these, from each week of quarantine.

Yikes.

Gary didn’t want to have his picture taken.  He’s in shock he’s up and out this early.

Yes, I know Home Depot is evil but we had an emergency and no other choice.

Nothing drastic, just a doorknob issue, but we kinda have to be able to lock and unlock the front door.

Haha, happy vacation.

Nah, I’m chill.  We’re really enjoying ourselves so far.

I like waking up with no responsibilities.

Scratch that.  I love it.

It’s still hard for me to believe I could officially actually live this way all the time.

I just wish people would stop posting those “Social Security will be out of money by 2023” stories.

Woo, anyway, retirement has sure sunk in with Gary!  He’s loving life right now.

Even though he’s awake five hours early and has to go home and fuck with the front door.

Poor Gary.  Now that I’m home 24/7, I’m noticing everything.

Like we really need to paint the trim around said door.

Oh, well.  We have nothing but time these days.

But in the grand scheme of the tragedies taking place in this country hourly, who the fuck cares about painting door trim.

If I am putting Gary to work, I’d rather have a gourmet meal.

So what else.

I’m not talking about Donald today, the trip to Home Depot was brutal enough.

I got triggered by something again last night and almost tumbled into deep, dark depression.

Somehow I shook myself out of it.

None of us are guaranteed any time other than the very second we’re living in.  I could be dead and gone a second later.

Especially as a post menopausal woman my age.

So what’s the point of being angry or sad?

What is gained from that?

Do I really want my last words to be, “Fuck you, scumbag Donald Trump (or whoever/whatever),” as I’m clutching my chest and falling to the ground dead?

I’m working on this, people.

It’s really hard not being sad and angry right now.  We’ve lost so much.

On the other hand, if we’re paying attention, we’ve gained a lot, too.

For Gary and me, it might be the gift of patience and really listening, both to each other and something as simple as chirping birds.

Right, I’ll trade you patience for live music and listening for living closer to my kids and being a physical part of their lives.

Sigh...okay, enough.

Gary just reminded me we’re very close to the good cinnamon sugar soft pretzel place so maybe we can salvage this trip after all.

I’m on vacation, I’m good.

Ooh, and Gary is making a whole roast stuffed cauliflower with feta and honey for dinner tonight.

It’s not a bad day after all.

Happy Monday!