Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Day 157

Day 157, self quarantine:

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Welp, if you have to have a birthday during a pandemic with your family scattered across the country, I sure had a monumentally awesome one regardless.

It was kind of off the charts.

Right before we left for the beach, we heard Eric’s song on the radio and then I got a birthday shout out on the air from the djs, who also added I’m a “cool mom.”

So that shocked the hell out of me but it was all kinds of groovy.

Then Gary gifted me with the one thing I don’t already own: a George Harrison garden gnome for the backyard.



I’m freaked.

Between George and the sign Eric made me, I love my garden so much I never want to be anywhere else.

Except maybe the beach.

Omg, yesterday was glorious. The weather was unreal —cool, low humidity, and sunny.

Before we hit the sand, I needed to hit the ladies’ room first, and really, the one I deemed safest and easiest to social distance was the one across from Brown’s Donuts.

I actually had no intention of getting donuts.  It was already 10:00 a.m. and unless you’re willing to stand in line for an hour, you’re not getting donuts and even if you do, they won’t be hot and fresh.

When Julie was younger, she would wake me at 5:00a.m.on vacation so the two of us could be among the first in line for their 7:00 a.m. opening.

And we still had to wait.

Anyway, I leapt out of the car for the boardwalk and raced for the bathroom and couldn’t believe my eyes.

First, there was hardly anyone on the boardwalk.

This pandemic is real.

Second, there was no line at Brown’s.

I blinked.  Something had to be wrong.  Were they closed?

No.  I saw a lone woman walk up to the takeout window and buy a donut.

In thirty years of summers in Ocean City, I have never seen Brown’s Donuts without at least a block long line.

I returned to the car and reported back to Gary.

“Omg, Gary.  There are no lines at Brown’s.”

“What?  You’re kidding!  How can that be?  Are they closed?”

“No!  I’m serious.  Go see!”

“Hell yeah, I’m going.  What kind do you want?”

“Cinnamon sugar!”

I still didn’t believe it would actually happen but literally five minutes later, Gary appeared with a box of donuts right out of the fryer hot.

They were sooooo good.

We each ate three and we have zero regrets.



Dog beach was amazing.  It wasn’t empty but it was easy to social distance.

Jake was in his glory which meant so were Gary and I.



We stayed for a couple of hours until we felt Jake had enough sun.

I was actually too full for pizza but it’s all I’ve been yapping about all summer so I figured I would eat a slice in the car and then reheat it later for dinner.

Getting pizza was also way easier in a pandemic than usual. There’s always noisy, unruly summer crowds waiting in long lines at Manco’s.

Not anymore.

You phone your order in and drive your car up 9th Street to the boardwalk and your pizzas are delivered to you by a “valet.”




Damn, if there wasn’t a deadly virus happening, there’s a lot to love about the new normal.

Speaking of the deadly virus...

My only bad moment was during my final departure trip to the ladies’ room.  This time, the nearest one was down the boardwalk from Manco’s but we couldn’t get close with the car, I had to walk a block on the boardwalk, where it was easy to tell the Democrats from the idiot Trump base.

Guess who weren’t wearing masks and flaunting it?

Yeah, the same guys who go home and polish their big guns and jerk off their tiny dicks.

It was almost comical except it’s not even a little funny.

I hightailed it off the boardwalk, and I won’t be going back any time soon.

And that’s okay.  I could care less.  Boardwalks are for kids... or adults with questionable taste in entertainment.

We got home around 3:00, just in time to watch Julie and Eric do a live meatless Monday segment with Andre Cholmondelay.



Here’s the link: https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTczNzY1MTMwNDpWSzoxMDE1NzY4MzIyNDAyNjMwNQ%3D%3D

It was incredible and what a way to wrap up a perfect birthday.

Even if you’re not a vegan, Andre is an insanely brilliant host who can cover topics like music and politics like no one else.  He broadcasts via Facebook Live every Monday at 3:00 eastern and he has some fascinating guests lined up.

At the end of the day, after we had leftover pizza for dinner, Gary gave me the world’s best birthday card.



It’s not only hilarious, it’s going to happen.

Finally, omg, thanks for all the birthday wishes.  I never got over 1,000 Facebook messages before!  I thought I was hacked 😂.  

Anyway, I haven’t had a chance to read them all yet but I will.

And now it’s back to the real world today.  Boo!

Oh well.  Every day can’t be a birthday but it’s not a bad idea to find something to celebrate daily regardless.

Happy Tuesday.