Thursday, August 27, 2020

Day 166


Day 166, self quarantine:

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Vacation is feeling real now.  

Two more days.  Yesssss.

This week I managed to get all three things done that I’ve been putting off and dreading doing at work for the last six months, finally running out of lame excuses for my boss.  

I literally sat in Julie’s room with three candy bars as rewards for each task completed.

Woot!  I finished a sixteen page boring as fuck Motion!  

Candy for me!

Yessss, I called Ms. X and even though I held the phone away from my ear and made hideous faces while she spoke, I meticulously documented everything she said in her file, and even wished her a blessed day back.

More candy for me!

The third candy bar I ate because the first two were so good.

Then I did task three! 

Someone actually answered the phone in the Prothonotary’s office in bumfuck Pike County, Pennsylvania where nothing is online and told me how to take a default judgment.

Yeah, you know I was putting that one off.

I love the writing aspect of my job but the boring procedural stuff sucks the life out of me.  I had a twelve year terrible job history after leaving my job of many years in 2005 because I can’t stay focused when I’m not doing something I enjoy.

I caught an interview with singer songwriter Phoebe Bridgers on World Cafe while I was working the other day. She talked about being diagnosed with ADHD in high school and her struggle with doing anything that wasn’t a “preferred task.”

Preferred task?  She made it sound like a thing. 

I immediately googled it.

“Children and adults with ADHD have difficulty shifting attention from one thing to another,” says ADHD expert Russell Barkley, Ph.D. “If they’re doing something they enjoy or find psychologically rewarding, they’ll tend to persist in this behavior after others would normally move on to other things. The brains of people with ADHD are drawn to activities that give instant feedback. There’s nothing inherently harmful about hyperfocus. In fact, it can be an asset. Some people with ADD or ADHD, for example, are able to channel their focus on something productive, such as a school- or work-related activity. Others allow themselves to hyperfocus on something as a reward for completing a dull but important task.  Many scientists, writers, and artists with ADHD have had very successful careers, in large part because of their ability to focus on what they’re doing for hours on end.”

So now of course I think I have ADHD.

Gimme drugs.

Anyway, I probably scared my boss I’m leaving since I completed all three things he’s been bugging me about since March.😜

You might think I slept well last night with a clear conscience since I’m getting all this nagging work done but nope, I have plenty of other stuff to worry about.

I mean, dudes, Donald has gone full psycho and he’s got the nuclear codes.  

Did you see that fortress he built around the White House this week?

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but he thinks he’s staying.

Have I mentioned how much I loathe him and his hideous racist uneducated cult?

Ugh, okay, I’m changing the subject to what I had for dinner last night.

Gary made roasted tomato sauce and served it over pasta with fresh ricotta, mushrooms and spinach.

It really doesn’t get any better than that.

Oh cool, I can plan next week’s vacation meals. 

That’s a good place for my brain to go, too.

Everything is going to be fine.

Right?

Right.

Okay, then.  I’m off to slay some more dragons today.  

You should slay some, too.