Saturday, August 29, 2020

Day 168


Day 168, self quarantine:

Saturday, August 29, 2020

Pssstt God...are you awake?  I think you missed.

Please try again.

Oh man, day one of vacation feels fabulous.  

I’m gonna ignore that it started with a huge blow up with Gary.

We were watching television last night when a Joe Biden commercial came on.

“Please let him win...please let him win...please let him win,” I said.

Gary made what I call his supreme pickle face.

“Why do you keep saying that?  Stop it!  There’s no way Trump is going to be re-elected!”

I stared at him.  Is he not watching the same news I am?

“I wish I could be so sure.  He’s doing his best to sabotage the election and he’s got plenty of help.”

“Bullshit!  Everyone knows who he is.  No way is he winning.  Stop saying it!”

He was so vehement I decided it was pointless to tell him about memes being passed around by people I know IN PHILADELPHIA, a liberal eastern city, defending voting for Trump because he won’t take their guns or defund the police.

The stupid runs deep.

Forty years of defunding public education is now painfully apparent.

But years of living with Gary has taught me to always ask myself, “Does the end justify the means?”

Most of the time when he yells I ignore him.

We’re both on the same side. Why fight?  Gary is a truly good person.  He’s fiercely loyal and he never lies.  He’s also extremely spiritual.

Me, not so much.

So I will let him continue to have faith in mankind, and believe that most humans are inherently good and will ultimately do the right thing.

Yeah, I don’t believe that, either.

But it’s why our relationship works, even though it shouldn’t.

Anyway, since our local news isn’t doing the job, that’s going to fall to us.

Okay, let me share this.

“Speaking with my friend, an anesthesiologist at a major hospital in #NYC today he said “You know, the CDC, the FDA, they were the gold standard in the WORLD. Every country turned to us for public health facts. We had the data. We had the science. Trump has wrecked all of it.”

Truth.

The virus isn’t gone.  This is the calm before the storm.

It’s why when my daughter texts me how much she misses me and I want to fall on my knees weeping and tell her I’ll buy her a round trip ticket to visit from Seattle, I don’t say a word.

It’s why I won’t go back to my physical office, even if it means retirement earlier than I planned.

It’s not safe.

Please believe me.

Okay, switching gears completely, I gotta tell you about the birds.

Gary took some amazing pics but because this is our crazy disorganized house, we can’t find the cable to attach it the computer so we can “dump” them, but no worries, I ordered one from both Amazon and B&H Photo so he’ll be back in business by Monday and I will be able to post them.

Out of nowhere, we got a gang of young cardinals, a “radiance,” as they’re called, and one little female is super noisy and yaps non-stop.

We named her Julie.

After noticing Lou and Georgette haven’t been around for a few days and have been replaced by this band of juvenile delinquents, I looked it up.

Yep!  How cool is this. Parents, who by the way are monogamous and stay mated for life, force their babies out of the nest to fly so they gang up with babies from other families and hang out together until they’re grown up and married.

Their parents tell them where to go.

“Hey, hang out at Casa Slick, they’ve got three feeders and all kinds of food and a totally disinterested dog who never barks at us.”

This egg to married bird all takes place within a few weeks.

Kinda the way my entire life feels up until quarantine.

Like I’ve mentioned before, we’re in this weird holding pattern of one continuous day which is both dragging on forever AND racing by.

Oy.  It’s all so insane.  My mind can’t wrap around any of it.

But one thing is for certain.  It’s coming to a head soon.

Let’s hope Gary is right and I’m wrong.

Hey, it happens sometime!

Not often but occasionally.

I’ll meditate on it.

Happy Saturday!