Saturday, July 25, 2020

Day 133


Day 133, self quarantine:

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Wow, July is almost over. We’re about to enter month five of quarantine.

I still can’t believe how radically everything has changed in so short a period of time.

I’ve talked about the changes in Gary but they’re still pretty astounding to me.

The man who wouldn’t watch the news or discuss political anything is now a news junkie who is constantly interrupting me with breaking news I read six hours ago on Twitter.

I really need to get that man an iPhone and you know what?  I just realized it’s the pre-quarantine Gary who didn’t want a phone. Apocalypse Gary is gonna fucking love one.  I am so doing it.

Oh my poor kids when he learns how to text for the first time..they think I’m a pain in the ass...😂😂😂

So in our new geek life, we watch Jeopardy every night at 7:00 and at 7:30, we watch the Daily Show we taped from the previous night because we can’t stay up until 11:00 to watch it “live.”

But last night at 7:00 was opening night for the Phillies.

Pre-apocalypse, sports obsessed Gary would watch sumo wrestling over any non-sports television.

At 7:00 p.m., we settled in front of the tv with Friday night pizza.  I grabbed the remote and put on the Phillies.

“What are you doing?” Jeez, he shouted at me so loud I jumped and almost dropped my plate.

“Huh?”

“Put Jeopardy back on!  We’re not going to watch Jeopardy?”

I stared at him, my jaw pretty much on the floor.

“Jeopardy is a rerun,” I said, still completely in shock.

“Yeah, but I never saw it and this is a classic from the archives!”

Wut?  I could see him being excited by a classic Jeopardy from the archives...IF HE EVER WATCHED IT but...😂😂😂😂😂😂

Anyway, I was more than happy to watch Jeopardy.

And The Daily Show after that.

After which we watched Palm Springs together, which Gary absolutely loved, marking the first time we watched a movie together that wasn’t about music since Something About Mary in 1998.

I’m not even lying.

So here comes another huge shift in our relationship.  Gary loves movies.

Omg, where do I even begin with that?

You realize our quarantine can now last for the next thirty years and we’re never gonna run out of something to do.

So that’s pretty interesting.

Oh, we did tune in to the end of the Phillies game.  They lost.  

Gary shrugged and put on the news.

I still can’t believe it.

Naturally I’ve been thinking about my own changes, too.

I admit to starting quarantine in March like it was an adventure and an unexpected two week paid vacation from work.

When it looked like I had to work remotely from home for a couple more weeks, I went from being happy to horrified. I struggled getting even a simple letter done.  I missed my office.

Within a few more weeks, I got used to it, and as news of the virus worsened, I started writing that it would be unacceptable to return to work until Memorial Day.

And then it was okay, now I don’t see how I can go back until July 4.

We all know where I’m at now.

It’s all good, I’m happy with my decision.

I’m ready.

I have a LOT of movies to watch.

Happy Saturday!