Thursday, July 23, 2020

Day 131

Day 131, self quarantine:

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Man, everything is so damn awful in this country today I, not Gary, am going to bake a plum tart.

Because we have plums, and it’s meant to be.

I’ll tell you why.

Julie texted me a beautiful pic from Seattle on Tuesday. She was at Katie’s mom’s house on a lake and picking plums.

I remarked that years ago, when I was head chef and baker at Casa Slick, I used to make a plum torte that was insanely delicious.  

Yeah, that’s right, I’m the one who got everyone food obsessed and cooking around here.  Then they all got better than me.

I didn’t mind stepping aside at all.

Anyway, I immediately told Julie about it when I saw her plums and texted her the below pic and recipe:


One cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
One cup sifted flour
l tsp baking powder
2 eggs
24 halves plums, pitted
Sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon for topping 

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Cream the sugar and butter in a bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and eggs and beat well.
  3. Spoon the batter into a springform pan of 8, 9 or 10 inches. Place the plum halves skin side up on top of the batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice. Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  4. Bake 1 hour. Remove and cool. Serve with whipped cream. 
Julie didn’t respond, she was out walking when she texted me the plum pic.

Gary in the meantime was at the store buying stuff for dinner.  I heard his key in the door.

“I’m home!  I have a treat!”

Ooh ooh.  I like a good treat.

“What?”

“Plums!  Wait til you see these.”

So I know that in July, it’s really not a bizarre coincidence that two people miles apart have plums.

But...

About ten minutes later I get a text from Julie, who had just returned from her walk.

“Oh my god.”

It seems Katie’s mom bakes all the time and while the girls were out walking, she baked a berry torte.

She sent me the pic also posted below.


Spooky, right?

I am not about to ignore a sign.

So I’m baking that torte today.

I’m sitting here smacking my lips.

So what else.

Hmmmm.

Person woman man camera tv...

Oh, sorry, just letting you know I’m a dementia free genius.


😂😂😂😂😂😂

I gotta laugh, what else can I do?

Actually, I’m not getting my hopes up, but his winning streak may be over.  

No city wants his unauthorized secret police.

And I’m sure everyone out of work about to abruptly lose their emergency weekly federal $600 unemployment check on Saturday gives two fucks whether he can remember five easy words, they have other things on their minds.

Like feeding their families.

Right now, he’s an international laughingstock, which in my mind means this is the most dangerous he’s going to be yet.

No worries, enjoy your day, I will be watching the news 24/7 and keeping you all safe.

Remember, this is the law.  I stay awake on airplanes and we don’t crash.

I’m focused on Trump with the opposite in mind.

It’s gonna happen.

You saw what happened to my obgyn last week after I spent some time thinking about him...

Let the three day weekend commence!