Friday, July 17, 2020

Day 125


Day 125, self quarantine:

Friday, July 17, 2020

Morning!  I will try not to gloat that I’m off from work today.

So last night Gary said to me, “You’re gonna love dinner tonight.”

“What do you mean?” 

Nooooo, I was really looking forward to what I thought we were having, leftover angel hair pasta with Gary’s famous fresh roasted tomato sauce.

In fact, I was looking forward to it all day.  He promised a side of spinach and some old school garlic bread.

“We only had a half a box of angel hair the other night and we ate it all.  We had a bag of shells from DiBruno’s, fresh ricotta and some leftover grilled portobellos which I mixed with the spinach.  I made you some stuffed shells with roasted tomato sauce and I topped it with fresh mozzarella.”

Oh.  I guess I could eat that.

Ooh ooh.  And he did make garlic bread.

He took it out of the oven.

“Oh my lord, it looks amazing,” I groaned.  “Wait, where’d we get that casserole dish?”

“We’ve had it for years,” he said.  “I took it from my mom’s house after she died.  You never noticed?”

“Gary.”

“What?  What’s wrong?”

Omg, I had just read about this.

I pulled it up on my screen and wordlessly handed him my phone.

“$2,000?!  What?!”

“Yep.  People go nuts collecting this stuff.  It was on Antiques Roadshow.”

Haha, you should have seen how carefully he ladled out dinner.

And we’ve got the glass lid, too, and it’s also in perfect condition.

Julie and Eric, this is why you do want our things after all and shouldn’t just throw stuff out when we’re gone though I’m gonna haunt you both and won’t let you.

There’s a lot of crazy stuff like that in Casa Slick.

Oy, I just realized I’ll never get Gary to do Swedish Death Cleaning now.

Kids, I tried.  I’m apologizing in advance.

So the headline at CNN this morning is Trump’s Refusal to Lead is Making the Pandemic Worse.


Ya think?

He’d rather talk about dishwashers.

As if he ever loaded and ran one in his life.

It’s almost as funny as when he tries to talk about religion and says “God bless.”

Actually that’s not funny, it’s grotesque.

Oy, enough of that.  Thinking of him at 6:00 a.m. makes me instantly nauseous.  That’s his one superpower - the ability to make me projectile vomit at the sight or sound of him.

His supporters have that superpower, too.

So what’s everyone doing this weekend as if we can do anything safely.  Our weekend is food centric as always, Gary bought such gorgeous vegetables at the farmer’s market, the first words out of his mouth when he walked in the door with his overflowing shopping bag were, “I’m making vegetable fried rice tomorrow.”

Naturally at 10:00 p.m. last night I got a text from Julie.

“Making fried rice tonight!”

Because of course.

Gary doesn’t like admitting it because he’s head chef around here, but the Slick family fried rice recipe comes from Julie and there isn’t a restaurant in the world that makes it better.

So that’s my weekend plan though I’ve been lamenting missing National French Fry Day this week and I suspect I will find a way to remedy that, probably tomorrow.

Ew! Ew!  Those Trump commercials airing at dawn in Philadelphia are grossing me out.  I just saw one where the radical liberals (me, I guess) are going to burn down our cities all across the U. S.

Yes, we’re going to attack other Americans with our sushi making kits and yoga mats.

Jesus fucking Christ.

And on that note, I’m shutting off the television and putting on the radio in hopes of hearing Eric’s song.

Eric is getting amazing reviews, by the way.


Finally, this is the weekend Zappa fans from all over the world to attend a live music festival celebrating Frank in Bad Doberan, Germany.  Of course this year it’s virtual.

They’re broadcasting greatest hits from prior festivals all weekend and it’s an interactive website that looks really cool.

They’re showing Ms. Julie and Crimson Projeckt this afternoon.  I’ll come back later with a separate post but for now, here’s the link.  Since it’s already late morning in Germany, the site is active.


Okay, so we do have something cool to do today.

Rock on.