Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Day 66

Day 66, self quarantine:

Behold the BEFORE picture of our backyard.

It took us two weeks to get here but the worst is behind us.

We took out 22 huge green trash bags last night but we worried about getting fined if we put out anything else so we stopped even though we could have kept going.

Next week the bikes, broken table, barbecues, and other items in this pic will be gone.

Oy, you should have seen the yard pre this “before” picture. I do have a photo.  Once the garden is finished, maybe I’ll swallow my pride and post it.

“What’s wrong with you?” I muttered under my breath several times, glaring at Gary as I swept up three feet of muck, lumps of charcoal and other discarded barbecue items.

You would not have known that twenty years ago, Gary spent an entire summer laying bricks back there.

Until this past weekend, you couldn’t even see the bricks.

I can’t blame him for all of it.  I’ve been thinking about this a lot.  Twenty years ago is right around when I discovered AOL and their evil little chat rooms.  Once introduced to the internet, I’m afraid I didn’t always feel like doing stuff around the house in my spare time and I hardly had any spare time to begin with.

From there it was a blog, MySpace, Facebook, and the dreaded Twitter...ugh, Twitter, how I hate you yet I still can’t stay away, even though you suspended my account for calling the Imbecile President and his hapless supporters very bad names. 😎

So it’s not all Gary.  I fess up.

And holy hell, I’m talking about Twitter the way tortured women talk about men.  We’re in an abusive relationship!

Okay, that’s enough of that.

Back to the garden - ooh, a Woodstock reference - once I discovered the internet, simultaneous to the kids being totally involved in the School of Rock, we stopped using the space for anything but storage and apparently spare trash for twenty years. But as bad as this pic is, I don’t think I’m being over optimistic that we will have a cool looking yard by July 4.

We planted those trees over twenty years ago.  They were in tiny pots and cost $10.

Gary put up the fence.  I made him use good wood and he admits he fought me on it...he has a weird cheap streak when it comes to home improvement products but has no problem dropping $500 for a meal and you don’t want to know what we spent on booze and dope in our heavy partying days.

But yeah, the fence is in awesome shape, we don’t have to touch it.

And once we really clean them up, the bricks are awesome, too.

I can’t wait to hang fairy lights back there.  I love the name, it’s so magical.  Fairy lights.   I think every home should have them, don’t you?

But I’m sticking to my promise to myself.  I’m not ordering anything for the yard until it‘s finished and we’re ready to decorate. Otherwise the project will be doomed and I will be the one who jinxed it.

Meanwhile, can I just say that Gary and I shlepped 22 trash bags and didn’t yell at each other once?

I’m loving this quarantine way too much.

So I think that’s it for today.  I’m not a fan of Wednesdays but I have a cool writing project going on at work so yesterday flew by and today should be more of the same.

Wait, did I just call the damages section of a Settlement Memo a cool writing project?  Hahaha omg, am I high?

Sadly, no.  Unless you count sugar.

Later, gators.