Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Day 52


Day 52, self quarantine:

You would think that by day 52, I would have learned not to watch the news before bed. Some of you have warned me not to do that  and trust me, I warn myself, but I tell myself I’m watching to check the weather since the forecast on my phone is always wrong.

Though so is theirs because Mother Nature is really angry at us and every day is a breaking news adventure weather wise.

Old person rant of the day: When I was growing up, we had four distinct seasons in Philadelphia and the local news weatherman used a smiling  cardboard sun or a cloud with a sad face and dripping tears to show you conditions outside.

He was always right.

Now we have winters without snow, 70 mph winds, hurricane like rain, tropical summers, and idiots who deny climate change.

All I know is, I always have an umbrella available just in case.

Anyway, on the news last night, I was appalled to learn it was clear America is “re-opening “ despite a still mounting death toll from the virus and the fact that  “more people are going to die, particularly the vulnerable.”

I’m fucking vulnerable and so is my husband.

Yeah, I know, America thanks us for our service and here’s a bunch of thoughts and useless  prayers.

I don’t know how I feel, honestly.  I know we can’t stay inside forever.  

But everything I am reading says we’re in for a second wave of this thing and it’s going to be even worse.

And we’re not willing to sacrifice one summer?

I know that we’re in uncharted territory.   No one knows what will happen.  But ending quarantine too soon is like Russian roulette.

And it’s being encouraged by a mentally ill, criminal president whose only concern is being re-elected to avoid prison.

Anyway, I’ve already made up my mind.  I’m not ending quarantine at Casa Slick until I’m ready and if that means retirement earlier than I planned, oh well.

But yeah, I shouldn’t watch the news before bed.  

So yesterday Gary not only worked in the backyard, he cleaned the entire front of our house in preparation for filling the window boxes.

And as I predicted, okay fervently hoped, he got really into it.

In fact, he was so into it, I felt it was safe enough to show him the pic of the finished garden in a space identical to ours that I posted here last week without him freaking out and telling me he lives a day at a time.

He loved it.

So now I can start having those fantasies of lazy summer nights sitting in our yard.  

And I won’t do what I always do - buy stuff for the finished project before it’s finished. Because at least in my world, that’s insurance it will never be finished and whatever I bought will be added to the sad piles currently overflowing in our closets.

While I’m sure we still have room for some fairy lights, four comfy outdoor chairs and a fire pit, not so much.

Oh, you didn’t know I want a fire pit?  I didn’t know I wanted one, either, until I saw a pic while researching small city gardens.  Now I don’t see how I can possibly live without one. 

I’ll hold off telling Gary about that.

For now.

Anyway, the weather is crap today so I think progress will probably grind to a halt but you never know.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous and according to his excited shout of “Yes!” Gary finally  found his electric  saw so I am more than hopeful I’m going to have that “before “ pic on Mother’s Day after all.

And bad weather today bodes for a great dinner tonight.

Though I think after Thanksgiving in May leftovers last night, we should have over easy eggs and a salad.

Ugh, can I just sit on my sofa and write this Facebook post all day?  I had kind of a terrible work day yesterday and I’m worried today will be more of the same.  It’s like the world has realized working remotely is still work and they’re cranking shit out like crazy to keep their jobs.  I’m in paperwork hell, and I have insane deadlines without the assistance of a desktop computer, copy machine, or high speed printer.

Whatever.

Forty five years is a long time to do something that isn’t a passion.

I better think on that.

Have an awesome day.