Friday, September 25, 2020

Day 195

Day 195, self quarantine:

Friday, September 25, 2020

Yay, Friday.

I should be more enthused, I have a three day weekend with Yom Kippur on Monday, but the news is just too depressing for me right now.

Actually, everything is terrifying.

My anxiety level is way too high for six-weeks from-election Twitter.  I kept picking up and putting my phone down again and again yesterday.

I hate him so much.  I didn’t know it was possible to hate anyone this much.

The stupid in this country is breathtaking and hideous.

But just as my nerves were so frayed even Gary and I were getting snippy with each other, something amazing happened.

We had a new visitor in our backyard.

A blue jay.

What was really cool was that we saw it simultaneously.

You would have thought we won the lottery.

“Omg, Gary,” I said excitedly, trying not to shout and scare it away.  “Do you see that?”

“Holy shit, it’s a bluebird,” he said.

This bright blue gorgeous bird with a pure white chest perched on the branch closest to our door and preened.

We just stood there stunned and stared.

So I googled bluebirds and nope, that’s not what we saw so I googled blue jays and yep yep yep that’s exactly what we saw.

We are such dorks, we couldn’t stop talking about it all day.

Honestly, it was amazing.

We can’t believe what’s been going on
out back all these years without us knowing.

It’s like we’ve discovered a tiny piece of paradise in downtown Philadelphia and oh my god it’s Casa Slick.

The trick will be to keep focusing on our paradise and nothing else for the weekend.

We have a lot planned.

Road trip to Princeton Saturday and the new carpet will be installed Sunday so I can have my dining room back and won’t have a nervous breakdown climbing over this giant plastic wrapped mass trying not to break a hip.

But oy is this gonna be a pain in the ass, literally.  Our furniture is really heavy.  And so are both rugs.

But hey hey, so far we two decrepit boomers hauled a new refrigerator and an air conditioner by ourselves.  It’s amazing what you can manage when you have no other choice.

In other news, I think I’m gonna fast on Yom Kippur this year.

Welp, I always try, but I have to have coffee in the morning or I have a brutal caffeine withdrawal headache by noon.

And then once I have coffee, deep down I know I didn’t really fast so it’s only a short time later that I break down and have a few cookies.

Okay, we all know I’m not going to fast and I’m an agnostic at best so why even try.

I guess it’s like me sticking pins in my Donald voodoo doll.

I’m hoping for a magical fix to the world’s problems.

Ah, well.  I have to remember to stay in the present, one second at a time.

No being sad about the past or anxious about the future.

Just take deep breaths and be present.

It’s the only way to live.

It’s how you see blue jays you never knew existed.

Happy Friday.