Monday, September 14, 2020

Day 184


Day 184, self quarantine:

Monday, September 14, 2020

Welcome to the start of month seven, with no end in sight.

This Friday night is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and Gary plans on making a full holiday dinner as if things were absolutely normal.  He thinks it’s important and I know he’s right, and hey hey, it’s an excuse to eat the food of my people made by my gentile husband who makes a better matzo ball than my late Jewish mother.

He bought these tiny organic sweet potatoes that he’s going to roast and mash.

I guess it’s the first quarantine feast of the holiday season.

Sigh...the first of many, huh.

Guys, I gotta be honest, I’m struggling with content here.

As we approach the most important election of our country’s history, it feels trivial to write about the daily silly quarantine trials and tribulations of Robin and Gary.

Lines for free food in this country stretch for miles and I’m here talking about organic sweet potatoes.

200,000 Americans are dead and we haven’t even begun to face the worst of what’s coming and I’m sulking at yet another holiday meal without my kids.

But, all that being said, it’s not my job to be a political reporter and I really shouldn’t do it here.  I’ve hopefully culled my social media friend list so that everyone reading knows what’s going on and is both appalled by Donald and sympathetic to what I’m feeling.

It’s just that so much depends on this election.

Our whole way of life is on the line.

But we also have to take deep breaths.  It’s important to stay sane and healthy.

So, that being said, I’ve decided to keep on keeping on.  If I have funny stories to tell, I’m going to tell them.

This journal has been therapy for me on a lot of levels.

It doesn’t mean that I’m not acknowledging 200,000 dead Americans or thirty million Americans out of work.

It just means I am still alive and trying to keep it together the best I can.

I’m trying for any normalcy I can find.

Holy hell, the next 50 days are going to be INSANE.

Let’s just hope we all get through them unscathed and we are soon on a path to healing.

I don’t want to think about the alternative.

I’m exhausted.  

I really want to be able to retire and see my kids.

Really really really.

Is that too much to ask?

Wow, the things we all took for granted.  

Everything from walking down the street breathing the air mask free to hugging our friends and families.

Yikes.  It’s really too much to wrap my head around today.

Okay, enough.

I’m gonna try and be cheerful.

And try to summon up the Angel of Death for you know who.

In the meantime, enjoy this pic Gary took yesterday of Li’l Julie, the baby cardinal who now lives in our yard and never stops yapping ❤️.

Happy Monday!