Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Today's excitement


Sorry - I know I've posted this photo of Julie and Eric in Hollywood before but I will never get tired of it and can't even believe it was taken only around six-seven months ago.

So both Julie and Eric are performing for Adrian Belew tonight in a private showcase at the downtown Philadelphia branch of Rock School. I wish I could be there, but as previously stated, it's probably better I'm not going because I'd probably do the proud mother crying thing and act like an idiot in general.

In case you are too lazy to click on the Belew link and don't know who he is, he was the guitarist for everyone from King Crimson to Frank Zappa to David Bowie and now he's gone solo with a band of his own.

After that, we literally have to jet to the Knitting Factory in New York because Eric's got a gig at 10:00 p.m. with his band, Flamingo.

I'm kind of worried (wait -- when aren't I worried) that the Knitting Factory isn't exactly going to be packed on a Tuesday night at 10:00 p.m. for a relatively unknown band from Philadelphia so if you live in New York and are reading this and you're able to make it, I'll be your friend forever and buy you a beer.

Though even Eric is anxious about this show because they are missing one of their lead guitar players -- he's got to go on a Jesuit retreat as part of his senior project for St. Joe's prep.

Ah, it's not easy being a rock star but one thing Eric has is plenty of experience with adversity after touring with Rock School for years. Ha ha - who will ever forget the west coast tour of 2004. We had everything from floods in Denver (yeah, Denver) to transvestites at a condemned hotel in Las Vegas.

Man it was the best time of my life only I didn't appreciate it while it was happening.

Quick John Lennon quote: "Life is what happens while you are busy making plans".

And: "He who stands with one foot in the past and one foot in the future is pissing on the present".

Actually, regarding the west coast of 2004 tour, check that. The Seattle and LA Rock School movie tour this past summer was the best time of my life, followed by the Les Paul gig at the Roseland Ballroom in October.

Wait, no, Zappanale in Bad Doberan, East Germany, 2003 -- that was it.

Or...hmmm...England with Julie and Matt while she toured with McRad in October, 2005.

Okay, Rob, time to stop living vicariously through the kiddies. What was your best time?

Signing books at the Phaze Authors In the Pink Event at the Pink Banana in Virginia with a giant penis balloon bobbing over your head? Ha! That was way wild, as was the tour of the S&M dungeon in a residential Virginia neighborhood.

Hey, speaking of Phaze, here is how we did as a group in the 2005 Preditors and Editors Poll:

2005 Readers Poll Results

Print/Electronic Novels:

Romance
21: Dare Me, Leigh Ellwood (Phaze)
23: Apocalypse Dance, M. Barnette (Phaze)

All other
11: Three Days in New York City, Robin Slick (Phaze)

Short Stories:

Romance
16: Erotique, Alessia Brio (Phaze)
16: Jack of Hearts, Leigh Ellwood (Phaze)
17: Sweet Seductress, Mae Powers (Phaze)

All other
14: Heat Wave, Eden Bradley (Phaze)
15: Night of Inspiration, Jenna Allen (Phaze)
16: Walls, Bridget Midway (Phaze)

Authors
16: Eden Bradley
19: Emily Veinglory
20: Bridget Midway
21: Robin Slick
21: Leigh Ellwood

Pretty cool, huh. We rock! And hey, I always wanted to be 21 again.

Not really. Well, I'd like my 21 year old face and body back -- but that's it. I don't know what the hell my brain was thinking back then but trust me, it wasn't good.

Okay, gotta fly for now. Eric and I are watching 200 Motels on the Sundance Channel. I'm in a state of shock over seeing former Zappa band members Don Preston and Jimmy Carl Black as their young, hippie selves. (In Germany at Zappanale, Jimmy Carl Black and I got very, very drunk together and he's another one who told me Eric is like the best fucking drummer he's ever heard. And Jimmy's a drummer! And Eric was only 16 at the time!)

Right. Back to the movie. And oh look, there's Ringo!

Later,
xo

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robin -
    Remember me from the Fabulous RT convention in St. LOUIS? LOL
    I had a blast meeting you. Can't believe I just found your blog. Have to thank Alan Baird (he is SO organized) with his list of Zoe Bloggers.
    Too funny.
    Hope all is well - love the photos -
    Jenny macaire (here in my Samantha Winston persona - too lazy to change the identity.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh course I remember you! World champion tarot card reader...and do you believe it, every single thing you said came true? Ha!


    (You really were one of the highlights of RT for me. I was stunned by all of the fairy princesses and vampires and a bit overwhelmed so it was nice to have a normal chat and have you read my tarot cards and comforting to see as is always the case my friend The Death Card make an appearance. But oh, what a difference a year makes. See you in Daytona this May?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy, their going to be great, let us know how it went xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Canadian chick! It was fun...but they were missing their lead guitarist, which was kind of a bummer.

    Hey, I need to link you! And my friend "Sam" here. I need to link a couple of people, actually. I will do it tomorrow...these things don't come easy to me and I need to be "fresh" or I'll screw up.

    xo

    ReplyDelete