Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Day 44


Day 44, self quarantine 

Is Mercury in retrograde or something?

It’s not, I just checked.  We’re cool until June 17.

Then what the hell?

Everything’s okay, we’re good, but this week feels challenging.  I knew I had some deadlines at work coming up, but I’ve been crazy busy with other stuff like death and furloughs and I guess I haven’t been paying attention.

My boss called to go over our schedule for this week.

“Can you get me the Arbitration Statement today and hopefully the Mediation Statement tomorrow?  We’ll wait until Wednesday for the Petition to Enforce.”

Wait, what?  Each one of them is a major project which will spill over into a couple of days.  In my former life, I could knock this stuff out in an hour.  Complex litigation world is a whole ‘nother story.  But hey hey, I really get to write.  I can turn an accident into a gripping novel 😜

“I thought the Statements weren’t due until May,” I said weakly.

Silence on the other end of the phone.

Uh oh, what’s today?

I clicked on the calendar. Crap!

So I’m busy beyond belief.  Work wise, it’s going to be my hardest week of quarantine.

I started my Arb Statement and threw myself into it.  I liked this case a lot and could have a lot of fun with both the liability and damages sections, which is pretty rare.

“Hi.”

I looked up.  Omg, Gary, with Jake behind him, wagging his tail.  I didn’t even hear them come upstairs.

“Hi, boys!  What’s going on?”

“Whatcha doing?”

“Uhhh...working?”

Oy.

“Oh.  Okay.  Well, if you want to take a break, I just made a fresh pot of coffee.”

I looked at the time.  It was 8:45 a.m. I’d barely started.

Oy.

“I’ll be down in a bit,” I said.

Why does Gary look so sad? 

I tried to go back to my Statement but I had a lump of worry in my gut.  I made a few halfhearted attempts and sighed.

I went downstairs to check on him.

He was sitting on the sofa with Jake, laughing and watching a repeat of the Daily Show.

Wait, what’s this?  Is that Andrew Cuomo?

“Yeah.  I watch this every morning after you go upstairs,” he admitted.

And so the mystery of where Gary has been getting the news about the virus has been solved and I could not be happier.

I went back upstairs, relieved.

About an hour in...this time I heard them.

“Jake, want to say Hi to Mommy?”

Oh my God.

Haha I love them so much but they can’t keep doing this to me.  I am weak!

So wish me luck, today I am going to get Gary started on a project around here.  I’m not joking when I say I was in a really bad mood when I woke up yesterday and was kinda surprised how good I felt after I straightened up.  Usually I hate housework.  But it totally took me out of my bad head and I felt so satisfied when I was finished.

There’s so much that needs to be done around here.  I’ve never been a Honey Do wife.  We’ll get into the psychological reasons for that later, but let’s just say it’s come back to bite me in the ass big time.  We’re in strange limbo land with Gary insisting no contractors, he’ll do the work himself and me not wanting to be a nagging bitch.

Oh well.  I guess today I put on bitch face.  The trick will be doing it so nicely he thinks it’s his idea.

Which is why I’ve decided project #1 is our backyard.  It’s a tiny plot big enough for a barbecue, table with umbrella and chairs and a couple trees but since the kids moved out ten years ago, it’s a nasty, overgrown bicycle graveyard.

Suddenly the ability to swing open the sliding glass doors from my living room to a real garden with blooming flowers and herbs seems crucial.

And Gary adores gardening.  Every Mother’s Day he fills our window boxes in the front of the house with plants and he grows tomatoes underneath.  I jokingly call it his ghetto garden.

He’s got a whole back “yard” to have fun with!  I’m going to remind him today.

That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it.

I’m going to ask him to recreate this picture 😂😂😂

Oy.