Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Day 31


Day 31, self quarantine 

If I really stop and think about it, it’s kind of unbelievable Gary and I have now been quarantined 31 days and we haven’t killed each other.

Yet.

Today should be interesting.  I have off from work today and tomorrow for Passover but Gary does not.  Typically on holidays like this, Gary would be at his office and I would spend the day on the sofa, stuffing my face and watching the Food Network.

I know, I know.  I have no idea why I watch that either. Especially as a vegetarian and food snob.  For the love of god,  they inject processed pork products and tubs of Cool Whip into every meal, as demonstrated, because I really can’t say cooked, by obnoxious  loud mouths like Guy Fieri, or worse, celebrity hosts like Katie Lee and the Pioneer Woman who never even  attended culinary school.

Gary is astounded I watch this garbage and yeah, yeah, I’m embarrassed, but then again, over this quarantine I’ve witnessed him watching reruns of curling from the 2010 winter Olympics, so...

Anyway, he really hates the Food Network.  He’ll overhear something like, “Take those anchovies, let them swim in a vat of mayonnaise, drop those babies in the fryer and there it is, the best thing you ever ate” and that’ll be when he exits the room — but not before shooting me the Are you out of your fucking mind look.

Probably.

I guess our respective television taste is our mutual escape from reality, and I suppose it’s all good, but for some reason I’m feeling guilty this morning  that I don’t always use my down time in the  most creative and interesting ways.

I mean, during this apocalypse, I’m seeing people paint masterpieces, bake amazing bread and cakes for the first time, and make incredible music.

As for me, well, I’ve watched every episode of Top Chef since 2006.

And admittedly loved every minute of it.

Anyway, because Gary is working a few feet from the television today, I won’t be watching food tv.

I should do something creative, huh.

Sigh...oh, the pressure.  But since the alternative is housework, I’m going for it.  What to do, what to do.

Hey, I did write a new book called What the Hell Happened which is a series of connected essays about a senior citizen who thinks she’s sixteen.  Absolutely nothing autobiographical there, huh, but anyway, it was supposed to be published in March and then, coronavirus, and then, I got an email and even though I swore I would never put myself through this again, I think I am going to attempt the traditional publishing route.

God help me.  Wish me luck.

So what the hell should I do today?  Haha, it occurs to me I could write a week’s worth of these Facebook posts. As it turns out, writing is even more cathartic than the Food Network.

Maybe that’s the lesson I’m going to learn from Apocalypse 2020 and I am so here for that.

Okay, then.  Off I go.

Have an awesome day!