Friday, April 28, 2006

Odds and sods for Friday, April 28



Sigh...it's been a while since I posted a new Neil Gaiman photo so I figured, what the hell, I could use a thrill today.

(This is because I have no new Eric/Project Object photos but I intend to remedy that shortly -- either tonight or tomorrow)

ETA: The band will be playing in North Carolina tonight at Stella Blue with special guest Denny Walley! For those of you not familiar with Denny, he is an unbelievable slide guitarist who played with Frank Zappa for many years and oh man, do I wish I could be there this evening.

So Eric Slick continues on tour with Project Object to rave reviews; the movie Rock School is in heavy rotation on A&E network and I'm hearing from lots of people how cool the movie is and how gorgeous and talented my kids are (d'oh)...and now I think I should get to some writing news.

First, someone we all know and love has just signed a lucrative, two book deal and I will be blabbing more on that very shortly...I'm just so thrilled for "her" I can't even tell you.

Second, my great friend Jordan Rosenfeld has an amazing story up today -- The Change -- at Juked. Seriously, click on that link and have a read. Jordan tackles sci fi for the first time (at least I think so and I'm pretty sure I've read all of her stuff but I could be wrong) and like everything else she writes, she's aced it. Jordan also recently signed a contract with Writers Digest for a hardcover non-fiction book due out next year so great things are happening for her at last. I've been a big fan since I read a draft of one of her early novels four years ago...a novel I know which will be published some day because it's just so damn good and four years later I can still remember it verbatim, which is saying a lot considering the fact I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Third, the banging and construction next door continues so I am out of here for now with the dog, my pen, and my lucky journal (ha ha -- autographed by the aforesaid Neil Gaiman and I swear to God, it's almost full now so I hope he inadvertently passed me some of his mojo).

Be back later to see if there are any new Project Object reviews or if I hear from Eric...if so...I will post again; if not, hey, happy Friday!

Later,
xo

8 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,

    Am so excited to hear about this book deal! Thanks for the link to Jordan's story--I'm off to go read it.

    xo
    myf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give it a read too...and good luck escaping the knocking about of construction workers. The Navy helped me with stuff like that - I'm so used to working around horrible loud sound that it no longer even bothers me.

    D

    PS - is it me, or does Neil look a bit haggard in that one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 AM

    there should be some rule that construction work that starts at 7am should provide the home address of the people for whom the work is being done. then you can go with horrible music and your own sledge hammer and express exactly how you feel about it.

    i lived in a rental house with my family - coincidently while work was going on in our house - for a summer. it was on a college campus and they were dealing with their arts center that had a flat roof - never put a large flat roof in an area with snow. they somehow managed to get a permit to work from 5am until midnight six days a week. sundays were blissful, everything else was hideous. jackhammers on brick.

    book deal, eh? [that person] rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myf, wasn't that story awesome? Jordan's versatility blows me away.

    How'd you like the story, David?

    And yes, it is you. Haggard Neil is an even more sexy Neil if that's humanly possible. I guess you have to be a woman to see that. Sue knows what I mean. Yes, let's gang up on him next time he's in NY and demand to feel his forehead. Ha! And here I just read in his blog how lucky he is to have "nice fans" and not crazy stalkers.

    Aw, we're the former, not the latter, but yeah, the idea of touching his forehead makes me have to take MY temperature.

    Though to be fair, I did have his arm around me for a brief few seconds while Eric snapped our photos. Just wish I could remember, damn it.

    And Leigh and Jessica...well, thank you very much. I will pass your good wishes along to my friend.

    And yeah, construction should be banned at those hours but even if they bang here two hours a day in the afternoon I'm still screwed. I wrote in the gazebo behind the Art Museum this morning and I have to admit, it was way better than staying inside at this damn computer and while this weather continues so beautiful, I think I'm going to stay with that approach. I love writing in longhand. And the dog had an even better time though we had a brief scare with an unleashed German shepherd. The yuppie walking him, however, was treated to a blast of expletives from me. Here's a tip: If you are ever in a frustrated mood, just holler at a yuppie. It's a wonderful cure and I feel almost high from it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story was good, I enjoyed it. Very short. I'm not sure it's Sci-Fi though? I mean if they really ARE coming to blast us to liquid, okay..but otherwise it's possible that we are living in the delusions of our protagonist?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you're probably right, David though I'm not sure. However, since it's your genre and not mine, I'll defer to you. Or...I could simply wait for Jordan to weigh in.

    Would it fall under speculative fiction? I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly what that means because that, too, reads to me like sci fi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAWD! I don't deserve all this kindness, Robin! Thanks for being so kind to me. I have to say I have tried my hand at sci-fi, but I don't think I've had any other sci-fi published.

    You turned me on to Juked, too, you know!

    Love you.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Great picture the masks look really cool what are they Wearwolves?

    ReplyDelete