Sunday, March 20, 2005

Of Flamingo, my writer pals, and coffee cups



Well, proud mother moment here. Last night I went to The Fire to see the debut performance of my son Eric's new band, Flamingo, and it was AMAZING. They are so sophisticated, so talented, and just so fucking awesome I had to fight back those embarrassing tears. They do all original stuff, no covers. What also touched me beyond belief was how all of the other Rock School kids, many in bands of their own, and even their parents (!) came to the show in support. The room was completely sold out, everyone cheered and clapped like they were the Beatles on stage, and not to use a cliche, but I thought I would burst. I give credit to Paul Green and Rock School for that; as I've explained over and over again, despite my problems from time to time with his teaching philosophies, this man has worked magic and his students, both former and present, have a closeness and comradery that I've never seen equalled anywhere. Some old friends of mine who I haven't seen in a few years showed up as well and they went crazy over the music and we ended up eating dinner at this incredible Mexican restaurant, Las Casuelas, afterwards -- anyway, it was just a fantastic night. (I had grilled shrimp and a dessert of a three milk cake which was to die for).

In other news, I don't know what to say about my gal pals from Zoetrope, my on-line writing group. Ellen, Jordan, Myfanwy...I owe these women bigtime. I ran the completed synopsis for my book, The Tour, by them for some fine tuning and they came through like you wouldn't believe. Again, big teary eyed moment for me. I was stunned by their generosity. But now that I think of it, I shouldn't be surprised; I've known these women for a few years now and we've met in the real world and connected just as we did on line -- they are truly special, wonderful people as well as incredible kick ass writers. Ellen Meister has a new book which will be published next year (a hardcover deal!); Jordan Rosenfeld is just completing her MFA in creative writing at Bennington and is a rising superstar; Myfanwy Collins is a brilliant poet, writer, and editor of Ink Pot...you will be hearing these names in the future for sure - they are magnificent. Links to all three of their websites are to the right and please have a click and treat yourself to some really enjoyable reading.

Continuing on, both of my stories are now officially on coffee cups for sale at Flash Fiction Cafe and may I respectfully suggest you buy the white mug because it's easier to read the story though the morph mug is very cool (but the story doesn't show up unless you heat the cup pretty hot in the microwave). C'mon, you know you want one. Or eight. Ha.

Ah well. I actually think I may go back to bed now. The dog was restless last night and for some reason decided to come up on my pillow and sleep on my freaking head. That's the first time he's ever done that in seven years. I was worried about him but he seems fine this morning. It was raining pretty hard and I think he got scared and wanted his mommy. But holy cow, he weighs like sixty pounds and he positioned himself right on my head with his face hanging and pressed over mine. He had me pinned down; I couldn't move. I'm sure it would have made a lovely Kodak moment if anyone was nearby with a camera.

Right.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Robin! You are too kind. I can't wait for the world to read your book. It's going to kick everyone's ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez. I need to remember to scroll. I nearly missed this!

    As far as the generosity of your friends, you reap what you sow, baby.

    And Myf is right--your book is going to kick ass.

    xoEllen

    ReplyDelete