Monday, May 31, 2010

Ketchup Part I - Julie and Eric Slick

Wow, time fries.

I really can't let this much time pass between posts again! The problem with not blogging every day is that then so much stuff happens I don't know where to start so I avoid the blog the same way I do when the house somehow gets really messy, which is still a great mystery to me since Julie and Eric no longer live here. Where does all the clutter come from? Anyway, when this happens, I am so overwhelmed i only stay in the one clean room, usually the place where my desk and computer are. It isn't until the mess spreads there, too, that I finally do housework and I'm so disgusted by all the accumulated junk that I start throwing stuff out I'd normally keep just to achieve some order.



In other words, if I don't write about stuff right after it occurs, I may skip over it altogether - either my brain has forgotten it or it doesn't seem as special as when it first happened. But trust me, some really special stuff has indeed been going on.

However, as I sit here, I am wondering where to begin. There's Eric Slick, who has been traipsing through Europe on tour with Dr. Dog, there's Julie Slick, who has so much good news I am feeling like a terrible blogger AND mother for failing to report in a more timely fashion, and then there's me, who had the time of her life last week at Book Expo America in New York City complete with sleepover party at a suite at the Algonquin Hotel with Sue Henderson and Jessica Keener. I think this last bit deserves a post of its own, so to make my life simpler, let's talk progeny today and start the ketchup process with Julie, whose debut CD is literally flying off the shelves and already receiving rave reviews.

Like right here.

There's also a nice mention right here with lots of cool commentary...but...but...that's not Julie, that's Julie's doppleganger! (Just kidding)

Anyway, if you'd like to win a copy of Ms. Julie's CD, DGM is sponsoring a contest.

Of course you could also pick it up at iTunes or via Julie's store. If you buy it there, make her draw you a picture along with her autograph - she's an amazing artist.

Anyway, even though Eric is playing drums with Dr. Dog right now and they're on tour for most of 2010 and Adrian is touring solo with a very cool project called "Painting with Guitar", the Adrian Belew Power Trio still lives and will not only be playing the Vancouver Music Fest but an extensive tour of Europe. Sadly, Eric is not available but I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed by his very special guest replacement.

You can see the entire tour schedule for Painting With Guitar right here, but the main thing you need to know is that on June 30, 2010 at Mexical Blues in Teaneck, New Jersey and on July 1, 2010 at World Cafe Live, Adrian will have a special opener...none other than Julie Slick, solo, and she'll be performing selections from her debut CD. Click on the venues' respective links to buy tickets...see how easy I make it for you?

By the way, if you were at the Khyber last Friday night, Julie enlisted the other members of Paper Cat, Robbie "Seahag" Mangano and Eric Slick, to perform "Rivalry" from her new CD, and here's the video:



And while I'm at it, here's a Paper Cat clip from the same night - I keep telling them, this is your hit, but I get the usual rolled eyes and "Mom, stop!"



I also have some, dare I say, historic video from Bob Dylan's 69th birthday party last Monday night but it was recorded on my flip camera and no one ever taught me how to upload from that thing so rather than risk losing footage I'll never have again, I'm waiting for Eric to get home tomorrow. Anyway, Julie jammed with the great Charlie Gracie and I absolutely cannot wait to post that!

Right now Eric is in Gorge, Washington, getting ready to perform at the Sasquatch Festival. Dr. Dog is playing in between Passion Pit and the Japandroids. Looks like Eric's old buddies, Ween are the headliners. Oh yeah, and MGMT. In the past week Eric has played in Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Paris, and I forget where else. I do know that two days ago he was in Barcelona, Spain, performing at the Primavera Festival. I like his tweets: "Hung with wilco n yeasayer a bit. " "Just had a drunken wall climbing competition with grizzly bear". Eric/Dr. Dog just had something like thirty hours of travel with connecting flights, etc., yesterday to Seattle and then tomorrow they'll have another six hour flight home, taking into consideration the three hour time difference and I don't know if they are flying non-stop or not...I suspect they'll be home at midnight and the band will all spend Wednesday sound asleep. They better, because on Thursday, they are playing Non Comm at 11:25PM and I believe tickets are still available - the show's at World Cafe Live - but it looks like you have to pay one fee to attend all events. Here's the info.

After Eric/Dr. Dog plays Non-Comm, the next day they head to Hunter, New York for Mountain Jam, which, to be honest, I cannot believe I'm missing. Take a look at who is performing:



Oh man, I really should be figuring out a way to be there. But, you know, I'd have to sleep in a tent and...

No.

I'll watch the DVD.

The following weekend, Eric/Dr. Dog plays Bonnaroo. It's crazy. What a life my kids have.

But what a life I have, too. More on that in my next post.

Later,
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment