Monday, June 29, 2009

It's All About Me, Me, Me

Happy Monday (an oxymoron, I know)...

So today's post is all about me but you know, it is my blog and every once in a while I have to promote my own sweet self so here goes.



First of all, my debut column appears today at The Nervous Breakdown and here's a direct link.

And if you are in the New York City area on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 8:30 p.m., the kind folks at the Nervous Breakdown have invited me to read this piece at the D Lounge, 101 East 15th Street, NYC.

Hey, check that place out -- veddy cool.



Ha ha - definitely one of the nicer places I've read though actually, come to think of it, I've had the pleasure of reading in some pretty amazing venues - KGB Bar (twice), Happy Ending Lounge, Box Car Lounge, TIXE Art Gallery -- well, I sort of read there -- half-way through I had a case of hysterical blindness due to having to read 10 point font in a dark room standing under a bare lightbulb with all of my New York writer pals in attendance...argh...must write a column about that some day...anyway, I've also even read at the Community College of Philadelphia. Yep, for someone totally anti-social, I do get around.

In other me, me, me news, you know that little documentary about "the hair down there" I'm in? There's all kinds of exciting things happening with "Why We Wax", the DVD actually has my photo on both the front and back covers, and is available for sale right here.



And there's a brand new trailer on Current TV (yep, Al Gore's channel)...oy vey...there I am again...and I just learned this is being shown on Channel TWC 103 in New York City every time they have a six minute slot to fill. Oh. My. God.



And even more press over at Jezebel where they have the same clip along with a cool article but it's worth it to visit the site just to read some of the comments...such as "If someone is elbow deep into your vagina for a waxing, you probably should check their references again..."

Finally, as I've been sort of promoting for months, I have a new book out, and if you haven't already ordered it, well, please do!



I am proud to say I'm now a member of Indie Bound and here's a little of what that's about:

"Why shop Indie?

When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:

The Economy.

Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.

Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.

More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.

The Environment.

Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.

Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.

The Community/


Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.

Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.

More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community."


So yes, indie bound is a wonderful, beautiful thing. Here's the link to buy my book and bypass the evil corporate system.


Sigh, but if you must, shop elsewhere, here's the wretched Amazon link;

And here's the one for Barnes and Noble where my sales rank is considerably more respectable for some unknown reason...woo hoo...maybe there is an Amazon backlash? Hope so! But again, buy indie, damn it!

Finally, I again remind you to follow me on Twitter. It's where I hang out more often than not...140 characters is about all I can handle while I juggle various writing projects.

Oh..speaking of projects...I know this is the me, me, me post...but don't forget that Eric Slick is on tour with Project Object starting this Wednesday night at Maxwell's in New Jersey, but of course I'm most excited about this Friday night's concert at World Cafe Live.

See you there!

Later,
xo

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the reading thing.
    And it SHOULD be about you sometimes. Although those childrens....they are about you and Gary because without both of your encouragement I am sure they would not be the fantastic artistic young adults they are today.

    Hey and don't shoot me but I bought your book through Amazon because of the link in your blog. And it was a good book so anyone else out there if you have not yet read "Daddy Left Me Alone With God" you should rush to get them before they are gone!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you are honestly the nicest guy around - and you have the best taste in both music and literature.

    And I thank you for buying the book at Amazon...(shh...I buy there, too, but we really should try and support indie bookstores whenever we can)

    ReplyDelete