Friday, February 23, 2007

Odds and Sods for Friday, February 23


Eric Slick, warming up for the Adrian Belew Power Trio show last Saturday

(Photo taken by either Julie or Gary Slick...no one is home for me to ask but I found it in my iPhoto folder this morning so it's one of them. Good job, J or G!)

So tonight Eric heads to New Haven, Connecticut, where he will perform at Cafe Nine with the fabulous Doctor Dark, a Captain Beefheart cover band Eric has been a part of since October, 2005. Yes, I know. I believe that makes at least six bands in which Eric is currently involved - seven if you count what he's doing tomorrow night - a private house party jam with master shredder Brian Davis. Ha ha - I just listened to Brian's MySpace song and to say my son is all over the map musically is putting it mildly. Oh...have I mentioned he's also playing bongos on a side stage at Bonnaroo with a bunch of belly dancers? A lot more on that to follow, as well as some veddy interesting jazz gigs my son has lined up with someone quite well known.

Writing news. If you want to be totally blown away, you must read this story by my good pal, Myfanwy Collins. It's over at one of my favorite 'zines, Juked, and, well, let me make it even easier for you -- here's a direct link to Myf's brilliant flash, entitled Celestial.

Oh my god, that story is so good I'm still smiling an hour after I first read it.

And, I see other friends have been more than a little busy. Ellen Meister has a great interview up at Trashionista - haha - love the name -- and Ellen has also entered the dreaded world of MySpace where, unlike me who has been faltering around that place and has still not been able to master it, she's very, very clever and has created a very cool site and sob...I'm jealous. Nah, just kidding...this blog alone is already eating up enough of my social life and writing time like you would not believe but I figure it's saved me thousands of dollars in psychotherapy so it's been worth it. Just kidding again. Where else can I kvetch about Republicans, tout my brilliant friends' works, and most importantly, have total control/bragging rights/unofficial publicist duties for my kiddies?

(SECTION DELETED)

Later,
xo

3 comments:

  1. Awww! Thank you so much, Robin! Your "Starman" that was at juked remains one of my top favorite flashes ever. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Myf's story AMAZING? God, I feel so proud to be her friend.

    Thanks for the MySpace links! It's a major time suck but I'm having fun.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myf, Celestial will stay with me forever...one of the best flashes I've read, ever.

    And Ellen, I'm proud to be a friend to both of you. What amazing women you are!

    Yeah, if I let it happen, MySpace could take over my life. I have the hippest MySpace buddies ever -- especially in the music and writing world -- and have absolutely no idea what to do with them.

    But they look awfully cool on my site so I'm keeping it if for that reason only.

    ReplyDelete