Thursday, February 01, 2007

Odds and Sods for February 1, 2007



How awesome is that photo? Thank you, Daryl.

So bleh, I'm under the weather but felt the need to come downstairs and post something anyway because I can only stay in bed for so long without getting nuts.

Here's another review of Beat Box Guitar, and this one is from drummer Neil Bettencourt:

"Adrian, Julie and Eric Slick. What a combo!! If you didn't get to see the tour, then this is a great way to get a glimpse into the quality and intensity of what they did. Eric and Julie show their mastery on this track, as does Adrian with great tones, great grooves, and imagination that goes so far!! This is fabulous stuff that any Adrian fan just has to have!! Good recording quality, and just a solid performance all around. Thumbs up!!!!"

You, too, can own a copy of Beat Box Guitar by clicking right here:



Also, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame finally has the Zappa week info up on their website, but it's moot because I JUST FOUND OUT BOTH SHOWS ARE COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!!!

"FEBRUARY, 2007

14 PROJECT/OBJECT with Ike Willis Performing The Music of Frank Zappa

PROJECT/OBJECT formed in the early 1990s as an offshoot of the annual Frank Zappa birthday celebration that took place in guitarist Andre Cholmondeley's basement in New Jersey. As the event grew in size and popularity, PROJECT/OBJECT decided to take their show on the road, performing Zappa's music in more cities and in larger venues, with a growing set list from every era of Zappa's 30-year recording career. The band strives to stay true to Zappa's vision of constantly challenging musicians and their audiences. This event is free with a reservation. Please email edu@rockhall.org to RSVP. If you do not have access to email, please call 216.515.8426.

7pm

15 An evening with Adrian Belew

Highly regarded for his work with artists and bands including Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Nine Inch Nails and Paul Simon, Adrian Belew is considered the guitar player’s guitarist. He is a five-time winner of Guitar Player’s best guitar player award, has been inducted into the Guitar Player’s Hall of Fame, has been honored by ASCAP and was nominated for a Grammy award. This event is free with a reservation. Please email edu@rockhall.org to RSVP. If you do not have access to email, please call 216.515.8426.

7pm"


Oh, one more thing before I crawl off back under the covers. I have finally impressed my son today in a big way because Relix Magazine, which is where all the cool kids hang out, made my blog a permanent link on their website right here.

How freaking cool am I?

Later,
xo

7 comments:

  1. Where's Gary chicken soup? That's what you need! :)

    Love the BBG. Several times at the shows I had people ask me about that song. What was that? How can I get it? I always directed them to the merch table.

    Congrats on listing on the Relix site!

    You are freakin' cool! Maybe you need a Too Hip card!* I've still got mine somewhere! HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that photo, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rena, Susan, and Myfanwy!

    Yeah, I should just relabel this blog "Groupie Mom", huh.

    Rena, Julie's going to call you. She's literally been working 24 hours a day between her senior year of college, waitressing, and getting ready to record with Adrian in 2 weeks. I have seen her about five minutes in the past couple days. But again, thank you so, so much. You are really too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for showing my photo Robin! i'm thinking that maybe it is something i could/should get copies made of for you to pass around to your friends/family.

    it's cold back there, isn't it. in bed sounds like a great place to be. and radical coup on the Relix link! some more reading to add to my stack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is B/W of a local west coast 'honkey' from the 50's and 60's when the midnight set was jumping...

    Big Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a b/w photo of a west coast 'honker' from days past. The set got jumping after midnight.
    Big Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Daryl, you should!

    Though I could probably easily print it out here, I'm guessing. Ah, technology. I'll let you know how I make out. I really, really love that shot.

    Hi, Dennis. Nice to meet you. Big Jay McNeely, huh. So you realize you are dealing with a musicologist here., right? Lay 'em all on me!

    ReplyDelete