Thursday, January 12, 2006

Odds and Sods for January 12, 2006


So when Julie and Eric played the Rock School Music Player Live Event (MPL) in New York City with Adrian Belew, Jack Bruce, John Mayer et al back in October, one other performer I forgot to mention was Lisa Loeb.

It was strange and I didn't quite get it at the time, not being a real Lisa Loeb fan or anything and so overwhelmed by the fact that Jack Bruce was listening to my daughter tell him what a major influence he had on her bass playing, but there were people with massive video equipment following Ms. Loeb everywhere she went at the event like she was the freaking star of the show (trust me, she was not).

So through the grapevine, I found out that the entire MPL concert was filmed for her new (trying hard not to gag at the phrase) reality show and will be televised starting January 22.

#1 SINGLE (E!) - The cable channel has confirmed the Lisa Loeb-led dating series will premiere Sunday, January 22 at 10:00/9:00c. Here's how the network's press materials describe the half-hour project: "Being single in the city takes on a new twist in this new series following Billboard-topping singer Lisa Loeb on her quest to have it all: love, success; career and family. And E! Entertainment Television’s new unscripted series will be there to capture each step in the process. Newly single, Loeb is moving back to New York, where she will dip her toe into the dating pool for the first time since college. The performer’s one-of-a-kind approach to life will be the subject of this new eight-part half-hour series."
*****

Bleh. Oh, sorry...

Anyway, it's just a guess, but if you tune in, I'm sure you're going to see some familiar faces because there's just no way the Music Player Live Event is on the cutting room floor. I mean, there were superstars on stage that night...

But yeah, okay, I'm probably dreaming -- the show is about her so I'm sure it's just her performance you're going to see but perhaps there will be backstage shots of the kids, etc.

I thought she was married to the bald Zappa kid and they had some kind of weird cooking show on TV together but what do I know -- oh, it does say she's "newly single".

Wait, hang on: Eric just woke up and told me that he had to sign a Release for her show, and so did Rock School sax player/vocalist Dom Malandro and maybe some other kids...hell, now I really do have to watch it!

Actually, the whole Les Paul meet-up at MPL with Rock School and performance with CJ Tywoniak, Eric Slick, and Max DiMezza was filmed as well for a documentary. I recently read that the PBS crew we met that day has been following Les around for a year for this project, and as soon as I get more news in that regard, I'll let you know immediately.

Other than that, there's nothing new...I have a couple of short stories which should be popping up in some magazines shortly and I'll post the links when they do; there's a Rock School tribute to Jethro Tull at Indre Studios this weekend and barring any water on the roof or any other lovely homeowner/parental incidents, I will be there to see the last of the original Rock School kids perform one final time although scratch that, I'll be at the King Crimson show in the spring and Eric tells me that when he goes on tour with Project Object, the Rock School All-Stars will probably open for them when they play Philadelphia (yes!)...so I'm sure I'll still be around.

And that may or may not be it for now...I haven't gotten the news of the day from Julie and Eric yet and I'm still waiting on some other new and exciting publishing news of my own, so...

Later xo

No comments:

Post a Comment