Sunday, September 06, 2020

Day 176

 


Day 176, self quarantine:

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Woo, yesterday was tough.  I can’t eat the way I used to.

Note to self:  Never again will you eat four pieces of leftover pizza at 9:00 p.m.followed by copious amounts of chocolate followed by immediately stretching out on the sofa and falling asleep.

Gary woke me at 11:00 to go to upstairs and I was so unconscious I didn’t realize I was dying yet.

Omg, I woke up at 1;30a.m.and seriously thought I was having a heart attack.  I never had indigestion like that in my life.  Somehow I crawled out of bed and stumbled into the bathroom where I chugged Pepto Bismol right from the bottle.

Why why why do I do this to myself?  

I have to go vegan and I also have to give up refined sugar. It’s just not worth it anymore.

Anyway, I went downstairs and was literally awake all night and it wasn’t pretty.

Of course an hour in, I told myself I had Covid-19 because after I threw up for the third time I had a nasty headache but then I mentally went over everything I ate on Friday and yeah, it was more like MePig, not Covid.

I sat up all night on the sofa wrapped in a blanket and tried not to have the sad/scary thoughts as one does in the middle of the night when alone and feeling sick.

I didn’t succeed.

Every time I think I’m acing this whole pandemic thing, just give me a few hours with my thoughts when my resistance is down.  I had tears running down my face most of the night.

And then I remembered it was the anniversary of my mother’s death and I thought Oh perfect, I’m gonna die the same day as my mom (albeit many decades later).

Then I realized I wasn’t going to die because I made the mistake of looking at my work email and I’m “in trouble” for so many things there’s no way I will die a merciful death before my return on Tuesday.

Anyway, getting back to my night in hell, I couldn’t even watch my taped food shows because I was too nauseous.

It was miserable.

Gary and Jake came downstairs around 9:30 a.m. but by then I drank ginger ale, had the backdoors open, the sun was shining, and I somehow  shook it off.

I wasn’t about to ruin the last days of vacation.

I filled Gary in on my night and told him to start planning meals without dairy.

Behold the panzanella salad Gary made for dinner.

Totally decadent, zero animal products.

Avocado, corn, tomatoes, olives, sourdough bread, and dressing made of olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon and lots of basil from Gary’s garden.

I can do this.

Hey, I’m already a long time vegetarian.

It was soooo good.

And what do you know, I woke up today feeling much better and ready for senior shopping at Trader Joe.

I just wish I could delay my return to work next week but time, and change, march on.

Especially change.

Here’s to better days for all of us.