Thursday, July 02, 2020

Day 110


Day 110, self quarantine:

Happy Thursday/Friday/July 4th weekend!

I really can’t wrap my brain around this.  The last time I was a “free” woman outdoors I was wearing a down parka and knee high boots and now it’s July 4 and I’m wearing light cotton pajamas and life as I knew it is completely changed.

Gary and I have lived near the Art Museum  since 1978 and this is the first year there won’t be fireworks or any celebration in the ‘hood.

I gotta say, I’m really not in the mood to celebrate America this year anyway so no real loss.

Also, the dog and I hate fireworks.  Gary was always the good parent who walked down to the museum with the kids.

“Mom, you don’t want to go?”

I’d rather be dipped in hot oil.

“Aw, no, I have to stay home with the dog.  The noise really upsets him.  Have fun, guys!”

I was like that when it came to any Monster Truck event, movies with names like Drop Dead Fred, or anything even remotely resembling an amusement ride.

Gary the super dad, the guy with the spatula who hid dead hamsters, always stepped up.

Though to my credit, I got Julie hooked on five star French meals at Le Bec Fin at age 12 and I wangled a private tour for 13 year old super fan Eric at Mad Magazine where he met all the artists and they were so taken with him they invited the two of us to their 50th anniversary cocktail party later that night at the WB store in NY and we went and we were so giddy, we couldn’t believe any of it happened.

Haha and now Eric is a star himself.  And so is Julie...and we all know about Julie’s cooking.  

Gary and I did alright.

Gah, I miss my kids.

Is 5:30 a.m. too early to eat the leftover blueberry cornbread sitting on the dining room table, calling my name?

I can’t believe Gary just threw that together while I was getting a haircut.  Who does that?

Naturally I had to ask.

“I was watching one of your goofy cooking shows and they were making it and I had a box of blueberries in the house we needed to use and...”

“Wait.  Excuse me? You were watching one of my shows? Which one?”  

Hey, I was pissed.  I tape my food shows and watch them alone at 5:00 a.m. because he hates them and makes fun of me and now he tells me he watches them when I’m not around?

Well that doesn’t seem quite fair.

“Which show were you watching?” I demanded again.

“I don’t remember,” he lied.

I grabbed our fancy Comcast remote which Gary refuses to learn how to use because he thinks it spies on him.  Ha! Just as he always feared, it told me exactly what I wanted to know.

“Martha Stewart?  You watched Martha Stewart? Omg.  Dude.  You have lost the right to ever make fun of my taste in shows,” I said.

“No, I didn’t,”

“Yes, you did!  Don’t lie.  You watched Martha Stewart.  I bet if I go online I’ll find the recipe!”

Gary glared at the remote like, “I’ll get you later, bitch.”


And clearly the two of us are spending too much time together 😜

So one more thing before I go - Epix is running a documentary Laurel Canyon, not to be confused with the Jakob Dylan fashion show vanity puff piece Echo in the Canyon.  Gary and I watched episode one last night. AMAZING.  And we both heard stories for the first time that freaked us out because we’re both groupies and music nerds who think we know everything.

Like, Peter Tork and Stephen Stills were roommates and Stephen was the one who went for the first Monkees audition which he flunked because he had a snaggletooth.  So he sent Peter.

Or that Mama Cass invited Eric Clapton to her house for a barbecue where he was completely freaked out by Joni Mitchell who played a chord he’d never heard.

Hmm I thought I’d know that story but maybe I did and forgot.

Or that David Crosby had shoeboxes full of the world’s best pot...

Okay, we knew about David. 😎

We KNOW about David.

So an absolute must watch for fellow nerds.  Spectacular footage and music.

We’re watching episode two tonight.

And on that note, I’m gonna go upstairs and crush it so I can give myself early dismissal at the Casa Slick home office.

I must be slipping.  I haven’t made any holiday food plans yet.

Sigh...I won’t say it.

We’ll make the best of things.

Peace and love.