Sunday, June 14, 2020

Day 92

Day 92, self quarantine:

Good morning!

How about this weather?  It’s so unbelievably gorgeous I’ve been accompanying Jake on all of his walks and now he actually thinks I’m doing this as a rule and he bugged me all day.

It’s awesome.  You can teach an old  dog new tricks.

Just ask Gary. 

😂😂😂

So we had our Indian food feast last night and it was good!  I had a spinach and potato dish in a spicy tomato curry that had me making all kinds of noise.

Gary had chicken with fresh grated coconut, ginger and chills. You should have heard him.

And the samosas.  I’m embarrassed to tell you how many we ate.  I tried to order enough food so we’d have leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

So yeah, it’s nice being good to yourself.

In other news, we are in fact going to Lowes today.  I’m more than a little nervous, I wish I had a hazmat suit, but Gary actually said this to me yesterday:

“We should go to Lowe’s tomorrow to see what they have.”

I stopped dead in my tracks.

“What do you mean?”

You have no idea how many things we need at Lowes.

I hate that fucking store but whatever.

Meaning, I loathe giant corporate big box stores.  I like small shops and personalized friendly service.

Yeah, I know, get real, Rob, this is 2020, not 1970.

But seriously, unless you know exactly what you want, places like Lowes are exhausting.

“I want to look at a new back door,” Gary said.

Wait, wut? Wut?  WHAT?

You have no idea.  He’s talking about the sliding glass door leading from the living room to the back yard.

I’ve been trying to get that door replaced for, oh, probably the last twenty years.

Magnificent french doors would change the look of this entire house.

Gary just wants to replace the glass in the center panel of our forty- five year old bent and rusted plain sliding glass door.

It’s an argument I chose not to have in light of how many other things around here need fixing and I hide the decrepit door with drapes.

I also shut out the sunlight when I did that  which is a major bummer.

I’m a depressed person usually.  Depressed people need sun!

Anyway, the crappy door with the bad glass you can no longer see through wasn’t an issue when we had a junk filled yard we didn’t want to acknowledge existed but now, not so much.

I’m so excited right now I can barely contain myself.  I didn’t know a new door was on the table.

“We should look at some patio furniture, too,” Gary added.

Okay, now he’s getting silly.

I’ve already given up the dream of outdoor furniture from CB2.  The catalogue came last week and I sat here with my heart in my mouth while Gary flipped through it and made fun of the high prices.

Why was my heart in my mouth?

Because I bought our six dining room chairs from CB2 in November and I was worried he’d see what I paid for them.

Anyhoo, yeah, there’s no way Gary is going to go for a $2500 lounge chair from CB2.  The trick will be to lead him away from $19 resin chairs from Target to something more moderate.

Curious, I checked Lowes and they actually have some decent stuff in the range I’m thinking.  But I am wondering how this works during a pandemic - do we get to sit in a chair and try it out before buying?

I’ll let you know.

Gary told me to make a list for Lowes.  Hahaha, I made two lists.  One with everything we need and a version which won’t give him a heart attack.

I’ll see how that goes once we get there.

So here’s the plan.  I take him to “Doors” first.  Then “Patio furniture.”  If we’re still talking, I will spoon feed him the rest, one item at a time.

No worries, I always prevail.

But it would be nice to do it without a Lucille Ball type scheme.

We’re getting there, people.  I can’t even believe it.  

Dreams can come true, it can happen to you, if you’re young at heart 😎

Have an awesome Sunday, apocalypse dudes.