Thursday, June 11, 2020

Day 89


Day 89, self quarantine:

Welp, we made it to Thursday.

I dig Thursdays, we’re almost done for the week and more importantly, from Memorial Day through Thanksgiving there’s a Thursday Farmers Market right around the corner from my house.

Farmers Markets are everything.

Every Thursday night Gary makes something insanely delicious from his purchases though this time of year I’m happy with a sandwich of sliced Jersey tomatoes.

With a side o’fries, naturally.

I have to have Indian food this weekend, though. This is the longest I’ve ever gone without it - I’m having sexual dreams about samosas and navratna curry ðŸ˜Ž

I’m pretty sure this is the weekend our yard finally becomes a garden so an Indian feast afterward seems fitting.

Haha it’s fitting that on Thursdays my thoughts turn to food. I have had a food = rewards = love thing going on since I’m like eight years old and I’m pretty sure I passed that on to both kids.

Natalie and Katie lucked out ❤️

I wish I were video savvy and could film a Slick family cooking show on YouTube.

I have ideas, people.

If I decide to retire in the near future, a decadent vegetarian cookbook is coming.

Anyway...

Yesterday was phone call day at work. I actually had to talk to people.

Feh.

I communicate so much better via the written word. And I loathe making mindless small talk with strangers. But...clients.

Oh yeah, I also blast music at the home office. I had Frank Zappa on and I was bopping around while I worked when my cell phone rang. It was someone I’d left a voicemail for and because I can’t do two things at the same time, I answered the phone without turning off the music and because I am using the ancient crappy office laptop without a mouse and also I am old, I couldn’t shut off the music so I ended up having to walk into the bathroom to take the call where the reception was terrible, thought I heard a figure of $3000, told my boss who got all alarmed and said Call them back it’s supposed to be $52,000 and then of course it was $52,000 but I couldn’t hear because I was in the bathroom because I couldn’t figure out how to turn off Frank Zappa and then I had to explain that to my boss and why is nothing ever easy?

So yeah, I hate the phone.

And my boss, who is only a couple years older than my kids, thinks I’m a juvenile delinquent.

Haha, he’s right.

I did have one cool phone moment yesterday. A court reporter I’ve known for years told me excitedly she heard Eric’s new single on the radio.

Shhhh.

I’m not supposed to tell.

But since it’s already been played a few times and Gary and my emails

both blew up with other friends who heard it, here’s the story.

The record was supposed to be released last week. Understandably, Eric made the decision to postpone its release until August. WXPN had an advance copy and it was already programmed in.

So yeah, a bunch of people heard it and they’re blown away. It’s power pop and the perfect anecdote for the state of things...just not this particular moment in history.

But it’s worth waiting for. I can’t stop singing along.

See what I mean when I say I know I have a lot of positives?

Gary and I have had XPN on almost 24/7 since the apocalypse. We were sprawled on the sofa talking when all of a sudden we heard “...and here’s a new song from Eric Slick - Eric is the longtime drummer for Philadelphia band Dr. Dog...” and Gary and I just looked at each other, stunned, because we weren’t expecting it and it was so damn surreal to hear...not to mention it’s an awesome fucking song...

So that was cool ðŸ˜Ž.

And now there’s something other than my birthday to look forward to in August.

Okay, I’m pretty sure this is catch up with clerical bullshit day at ye olde home office, which means banging out followup letters and scheduling depositions. Boring as fuck but after the week I had, I’ll take it.

I’m going with Ian Dury and the Blockheads today.

Peace out, apocalypse dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment