Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Coincidence? I think not!



This, as you know, is the pic of Eric taken when he was four or five years old and I made a remark about how weird it was that the magazine cover came true, and I also made a joke about the cowboy hat that his sister insisted they both wear...



And this of course is the photo I posted of Eric yesterday.

Heh. How freaking insane, huh.

So right now I'm in the middle of a total nuthouse. The place next door was sold and is being gutted and rebuilt...the workmen got there around 7:00 a.m. today and my entire house is vibrating and the pounding and banging noises are making me lose what's left of my mind. I went outside and screamed at the workers who looked at me like I'm warped because apparently this type of work is done at dawn everywhere and as their expressions told me, I'm going to have to live with it. I feel like crying because this is happening at the worst possible time. I have a real chance to finish my novel with Eric away on tour and the house mostly to myself and now I can't even think straight due to the noise. I live in a brownstone/rowhouse whatever...so you can imagine what I'm going through - it sounds like they are in my kitchen right now. In fact, with this house being over a hundred years old, I'm seriously starting to worry about any adverse effects I might have structure wise.

Oy.

And then, we have Julie in said kitchen, making not one but two lasagnas...vegetarian for her and me (did you know I'm now a vegetarian? I didn't. But Julie says so and I'm too upset right now to argue.) She made a meat one for her boyfriend. Every pot in the house is dirty and I'm afraid to go in and look at the stove, sink, and countertops. All I know is, she has a class at noon. God forbid I go in there and have to clean up. One of the reasons I personally never cook lasagna is that it's such a freaking mess maker.

So that's two days in a row with a nervous breakdown for me. I've decided I have to get out of the house and escape the noise, so I'm going to go for a walk to the park with my journal and at least try to do something productive.

I haven't found any new reviews on the Project Object forum board but if you check the journals of the various bandmembers on the website -- and hopefully my son will work on his -- you will see what keyboardist Eric Svalgard had to say about him, which of course made me teary eyed for a change:

Now I should say something about Slick. I have known and worked with him now for 4 years and have always loved his playing and his attitude. He knows this material as well as anyone and is a total asset to the band. He listens, has great feel and is a the SHIT. Total joy to play with. Some young players who get notoriety have trouble when they get older and are no longer freak shows. Eric will not have that problem, he is the real deal.

Thank you, Mr. Svalgard. That was incredibly cool of you to post.

So tonight's show is at The Poison Room in Cincinatti, Ohio. I haven't spoken with Eric yet today as to how the Detroit show went last night but he's having such an incredible time, I'm sure it was awesome. And of course as I will remind you all tomorrow, at 9:00 p.m. the A&E Network will be premiering Rock School and you can see where it all began for both Eric and Julie.

Oh well. Now Julie is stomping and cursing over the fact that we don't live in the suburbs and have a huge kitchen because she just dropped/spilled something due to limited workspace. Great. I'm getting the fuck out of here before I end up killing myself and her.

Later,
xo

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Me and the boyfriend made lasagna on Sunday night but not all that much mess. Mostly because we were short about three key ingredients and so made something like lasagna, but strangely different. It had mushrooms.

    Construction sucks. I hope they get done with the really loud stuff quickly. Find out what the Philly noise ordinances are - it might not be 7am, but 8am, which is marginally do-able.

    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I feel for you, Rob! I DESPISE construction-related noise!!! Maybe you can get a way to a quiet inn for a couple of days. Come down to NC--we'll set you up in the guest house as long as you don't mind three million books and a few toys in your way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - the boyfriend's is traditional with red gravy and mozzarella cheese and ground beef. Ours is brown rice pasta sheets with pesto sauce AND bechamel sauce and layers of some fancy cheeses and all kinds of chopped vegetables.

    I went into the kitchen, took one look at the carnage, and RAN THE HELL OUTSIDE. But now I'm back...sigh...and since she cooked it, the least I can do is load the dishwasher. But I am not doing all of those pots and pans!

    Even 8:00 a.m. is a nightmare, Jess. I do my writing in the morning. It's now 1:30 and they're still at it. This could conceivably go on for weeks and weeks because the house was basically a shell they bought for $300,000 and can fix up and sell for twice that at least. I know in the long run this is a good thing for me because all of the new construction on my street has made my house worth a fortune, but right now, I can't think on those terms...I only want to finish my book.

    Sigh...I'm thinking I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the park writing in longhand and then typing at night. Either that or the Free Library during the day. I only know I can't stay here while this is going on. I need total peace and quiet and comfortable surroundings and yeah, the park over by the Art Museum sounds about perfect.

    Oh god, now they're using power tools. I can feel my skull buzzing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - I was leaving Jess a comment when I read your invite, Kat. Oh that I could! Especially since my son is playing a few gigs in NC next week. But thanks for the thought - I really appreciate it.

    I'll get through this somehow. I really do have a gorgeous park nearby and the first Free Library in the U.S. is within walking distance of my house so I can definitely think of worse places to be. I'm just depressed at the timing...as much as I miss Eric, I really did count on finishing the book while he was away because he is home during the day when I write and I do end up talking with him a lot.

    On the other hand, I wrote two novels when I had a full time job during the day so I should probably just shut up and stop complaining and write.

    ReplyDelete